History of the Graduate School of Education and the Faculty of Education
The University of Tokyo’s Faculty of Education was established in May 1949 by segregating the five courses of the Department of Education, which had been included in the Faculty of Literature at the University of Tokyo under the old education system. The College of Arts and Sciences was also established in the new University of Tokyo. In 1947, the Fundamental Law of Education and the School Education Law were enacted and the “6-3-3” school system (six years of elementary school, three each at junior and senior high schools) was introduced. Universities nationwide also established faculties of education as well as of arts and sciences, in line with the objectives of the postwar education reform, which recommended that the former systems of teachers’ schools be revised and that faculties of education be established at national universities. In response to this request for reform, our faculty was established to carry out three tasks: (1) providing specialized research on education while training expert researchers and teachers; (2) equipping educational administration officials, social education supervisors, and school administrators with insight and cultured minds; and (3) assuming the responsibility of training teachers for the secondary school attached to the new University of Tokyo. Basically the three tasks remain unchanged today, even though the university’s emphasis has shifted to graduate education.
Although the Faculty of Education was originally to offer 18 courses of specialization, in the final planning stage, it adopted the small-department system and started out with departments of education, educational psychology, school education, educational administration, and physical education. Changes that have occurred since then are listed below.